|The stately Penn-Atlantic Hotel, situated at South Carolina Avenue and Bacharach Boulevard, originally opened in 1924 as the Hotel Donato. The 60-room hotel changed its name to Penn-Atlantic in 1926, when it also added 94 more rooms. The hotel was popular with athletes, housing members of the Boxing Fraternity that sparred in Atlantic City, and serving as the trainers’ headquarters when the Atlantic City Race Course opened in the 1940s. Due to its proximity to City Hall, its Riptide Room restaurant also became a favored spot for city employees. The hotel was one of the few not taken over by the military during World War II, and as a result, lodged the families of soldiers who came to visit, as well as several entertainers who performed in the city. The Penn-Atlantic also housed the WLDB radio station for seven years. In 1969, it was sold by longtime owners the Fiore family, and demolished as part of an urban redevelopment program.|
For more information, see these resources in the Atlantic City Free Public Library, Atlantic City Heritage Collections:
Local History Subject Files - Hotels
| A postcard with images of the Penn-Atlantic Hotel and its famous Riptide Room.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H084.PennAtlantic002.
made with love from Appartamenti vacanza a Corralejo - Fuerteventura